Fire Ant Control In Chattanooga Doesn’t Have To Be So Hard
July 15, 2022 - Fire Ants
One of the most persistent and difficult to control pests in the Chattanooga area is the fire ant. These small, red insects are not only a nuisance but can also pose a serious health threat to humans and animals alike.
What's more, they deliver painful stings and bites that can cause skin irritation and allergies. Never think twice about seeking help if these critters invade your home, as delaying can lead to regrets. Call Chattanooga pest control immediately.
Are These Fire Ants?
Like most ants, fire ants are social creatures that live in a colony. One of their most identifying features is their bright red to black color. Additionally, their antennae have ten unique segments- nine occurring after the first bend (elbow).
There are two main species of fire ants in the US: Imported and native. The imported ants are the more common species. They have a stinger at their abdomen, red and black compound eyes, and two-segmented bodies.
They protect their nests aggressively and join forces to sting offenders. Their sting has a potent venom that causes a burning sensation, hence their distinct name. Native fire ants comprise four major subspecies:
- Little fire ants
- Native southern fire ants
- Desert fire ants
- Tropical fire ants
You should call a professional pest control organization despite the species you're dealing with. Generally, fire ant bites can be fatal.
What To Do If A Fire Ant Bites You
If you get stung or bitten by a fire ant, it's advisable to:
- Cleanse the affected part with soap and water
- Apply a cold compress on the site for about 10 minutes
- Take an antihistamine to reduce itching, swelling, and redness.
- Use calamine lotion to soothe the irritation.
- Observe the site for any allergic reaction such as difficulty breathing
- Dab some white vinegar on the area.
You can avoid fire ant bite allergic reactions by calling an expert pest control company on time.
Five Fire Ant Prevention Tips
The best way to deal with fire ants in Chattanooga is by preventing them in the first place. Here are a few tips on how you can do that:
1. Trim landscaping.
2. Keep food sealed.
3. Get rid of moisture- since fire ants love moisture, get rid of standing water around your home. Repair leaky pipes and faucets too.
4. Use baits and traps- these are effective in killing fire ants.
5. Seal any cracks, gaps, or holes on your exterior walls.
Above all, you should be consistent in your fire ant treatment in Chattanooga so the pests will never set foot in your Chattanooga home.
How To Get Rid Of Fire Ants For Good
These little critters survive due to the power of numbers- their colonies. It's not always easy to eliminate an entire fire ant colony. You'll need a fire ant control for your Chattanooga home like Perfect Blend Pest Solutions.
We're located in Chattanooga, TN, and serve Chattanooga residents and those in the surrounding areas. We understand that every pest invasion in homes and businesses is unique. That's why we use a science-based approach centered on Integrated Pest Management (IPM) principles to give a customized service plan.
We have a systematic plan in place aside from the IPM for maximum success:
- We inspect your home for the bugs.
- We clean and remove any junk (dead insects, etc.).
- We seal any cracks and gaps.
- We use quality and FDA-approved products to kill the available ants.
- We maintain pest protection and ensure the critters don't bother you again.
See what we offer today.